2.08.2016

Classic Kodachrome Monday #76

Every Monday, I'll be spotlighting a different classic Kodachrome slide that I've picked up, and trying where I can to detail the who, what, when, where, why, and how (much) of the image:

This Week:

What: Around the Post Office


Why: The shot has many of the "TV Idealized" charms of the 1950's, providing what looks like a sunny day in a small town environment.  Though, oddly, there is seemingly no one walking out and about on this day, there is still a healthy feel to this area given its appearance.

When: Appears to be in the early 1950's based on mount and setting.

Where: Omaha, NE. I knew this much from the auction listing, and the Post Office gave an easy clue if I got foiled.  Interestingly, I tried to find it on my own without searching out the post office, expecting this to be a "near Downtown" location, but I was completely wrong. It is actually taken pretty well west of the center of town at 63rd Street.  The bus on layover at the right appears to be using a turnaround that is no longer used, as the present #4 line of Omaha Metro makes no mention of a 63rd Street terminal. That said, the scene is largely the same as it was.    



Who: Don't know who is driving those cars.     
  
How (much): $3.99 on ebay. 

No comments:

Post a Comment