11.03.2014

Classic Kodachrome Monday #18


Every Monday, I'll be spotlighting a different classic Kodachrome slide that I've picked up, and trying where I can to detail the who, what, when, where, why, and how (much) of the image:

This Week:

What: Street Scene with a State Capitol.


Why: I can be a bit of a "dumpster diver" on ebay sometimes, and this is where I have had some of my best scores.  I'd watched a lot of "75 glass slides from the 1960's and 1970's" appear a few times, and close without a winning bid.  I had considered bidding, but the time span advertised was newer than my typical interest. The seller finally dropped the price to a $4.50 opening bid, and I just went ahead and bid slightly above opening, only to win it for the starting bid.  Luck was on my side with this one, as upon arrival, I was pleased to see that there were actually some really nice slides in the batch. This one tends to take the cake for me, as it shows a lively, easily pinpointed street scene with lots of period elements!     

When: My best guess based on the automobiles is about 1960 or a couple years afterwards.  Glass mounts carry no hints unless their photographers mark them.

Where: Boston, MA. Here is where the interaction of blogging gets fun!  A previous Kodachrome Monday shot elicited a great reply from reader James for any Boston area images.  Coincidentally, I had just received these and recognized some as being from Boston, though I admitted that the geography of Boston confuses the Bejeezus out of me.  James was kind enough not only to hone in on the location of the shot, but also was up to the challenge of providing his own match photo for a then and now comparison to supersede the usual Google Street View I often do.  The perfect result is shown below!  


Who: As usual, the weak spot in the question and answer session.  The random folks on the street are not identified.      

How (much): Well, when you divide the cost of the lot by the quantity, I paid somewhere between 6 and 13 cents for this image depending on whether you add shipping.  Score! 

And speaking of score: The fun doesn't end here. Below is another Then and Now comparison taken by James along Tremont Street in Boston from the same image batch, as well as a pair of bonus images from the area near Boston Common, the last of which appears to be on non-Kodachrome stock based upon its fading.  Enjoy!  









No comments:

Post a Comment