10.20.2014

Kodachrome Classic Monday #16


Every Monday, I'll be spotlighting a different classic Kodachrome slide that I've picked up, and trying where I can to detail the who, what, when, where, why, and how (much) of the image:

This Week:

What: Street scene at dusk, as viewed from elevated perspective.


Why: There is always something magical about that twilight period of dusk, when the day begins to descend into the envelop of darkness.  Urban photos that elicit the somewhat surreal feel of what is oddly an every day occurrence are not that common, and when they do surface, they can suffer from uneven lighting where the street details get mired in shadow.  This image totally conveys the atmospheric mood of dusk, and shows a vibrant street scene filled to the brim with great period details. 

When: October, 1963, as noted on the slide mount.

Where: Chicago, IL. Um, I don't know, was there a hint somewhere in the image itself?   Actually, I knew just where this was the instant I saw it, as I've been to this location before, and find the Chicago Theatre to be one of the best original elements in the loop.  The shot was obviously taken from the State and Lake L Station looking South.  


View Larger Map

But don't take my word for where it was taken.  Have a look at the area from the REVERSE viewpoint, looking North on State Street, obviously taken within a day or two of the featured shot above.  You'll note the elevated station featuring to the left of the Chicago Theatre marquee, a good ways behind (or rather ahead of) the nattily dressed sailors making their way past the Marshall Field flagship store!  



Who: Interesting that Elizabeth Taylor and Richard Burton are featured at both the Chicago and the State-Lake across the street!  

How (much): Picked up for $4.99 on ebay!  I'm admittedly stunned that it went for opening bid, but I am very happy to have this in my collection, and even happier to be able to present it to you!  Both of these images come from the same seller as last week's image. :-)


   

No comments:

Post a Comment