9.03.2014

Wednesday Window to the World #7



This Week:

What: Phone Booth


Why: Because it's a phone booth!  Seriously, when was the last time you saw someone using a phone booth?  In the interest of full disclosure however, this antique style booth, complete with vintage "Bell System" emblems, lacks one important element - a phone.  In light of that, I eased the door slightly closed so as to minimize that little technicality.   


I did bring along a pair of TLR film cameras, one of which also was used to record this scene.  Will be interesting to see which one yields the more favorable result!   

When: September 1, 2014.

Where: Sykesville, MD   

Who: It was a quiet Monday morning in Sykesville.  Seems like it will be nice to visit again for some more photos.  

How: Olympus Pen E-PM2 with Olympus Pen-FT Manual Focus 38mm lens set at f/4 for 1/1000 second.   

Raw image was imported into Photoshop and I did a little bit of coercing to even out the tonal range, in the process somewhat going against my typical obsessive urge to make the image appear like an old slide transparency.  That said, I did pump the saturation on the Reds, and downplay the green palette, while adding a hint of grain and vignetting.     

The out of focus nature of the background signage was somewhat deliberate on my part.  I used the f/4 aperture to minimize the sharpness of the overall image to lend to the nostalgic feel, and as it turns out, the depth of field of the f/4 aperture didn't carry to the background.  Color me pleased.  

No comments:

Post a Comment