9.01.2014

Classic Kodachrome Monday #9


Every Monday, I'll be spotlighting a different classic Kodachrome slide that I've picked up, and trying where I can to detail the who, what, when, where, why, and how (much) of the image:

This Week:

What: Students headed home from school. 


Why: As the amazement of being able to acquire a wide range of original color slides from the 1940's and 1950's took hold, I was simultaneously disappointed that there was a "monochromatic" quality that  prevailed in the range of people evident in the vast majority of slides available.  When I spotted this lot available, it was definitely hard to resist as it brought both diversity as well as additional local flavor to my collection.  This image is quite likely my favorite of the batch as it captures a typical scene of the after school walk, evoking a very nostalgic quality.      

When: Likely about 1956, Spring.  

Where: Catonsville, MD. In pinpointing the location of this image, it was certainly helpful to be aware of some of the local history of the area.  The African-American community in Catonsville traditionally settled along the Winters Lane corridor.  The presence of the single 4-way traffic light implies a principal intersection in the background, and looking at the street sign present in the background at full zoom, it does seem plausible that the reading for the cross street reads EDMONDSON AV. A look at Historic Aerials reveals that, in the late 1950's, this very intersection hosted a service station on the Southeast corner, and a corner store flush against the northwest corner, pinpointing this image to be looking north on Winters Lane from just south of Edmondson Avenue.  The intersection looks vastly different today, with only the Grace A.M.E. Church peeking out at right as a prominent landmark that remains today.  Interestingly, the tree on the Grace property looks almost the same as it did nearly 60 years ago!

View Larger Map



Who: The students shown here almost certainly attend the Banneker School a few blocks north on Old Frederick Road, which at the time, was a K-12 school for African-American youth.    

How (much): I violated some of my cardinal rules on this, though I would have likely kicked myself for letting this one get away!  I paid $75 for the 240 slide lot, which works out to under 40 cents a slide, but a lot of the slides are duplicative and others have poor focus.  Still, I have no regrets, and am pleased to say the Banneker students will make more appearances in the future on here!  

No comments:

Post a Comment