10.12.2015

Classic Kodachrome Monday #59

Every Monday, I'll be spotlighting a different classic Kodachrome slide that I've picked up, and trying where I can to detail the who, what, when, where, why, and how (much) of the image:

This Week:

What: Busy Thorofare

Why: It seems that every time I feel I can no longer be impressed by a typical street scene photo any more, I am proven wrong.  This shot certainly proves this to be the case.  Still resplendent in some very accurate Kodachrome color, the shot shows just how vibrant urban areas once were, and is even more fascinating when you consider its age.     

When: This proved to be a challenge that required me to discern the "where" before I could really pinpoint the when.  Having finally mastered the location, I was able to use the license tags in the photo to then be able to figure out the year, and the result was certainly fascinating.  I can comfortably conclude that this glorious full color photo dates all the way back to the Summer of 1939!!!  

Where: Albany, NY. So, um, this shot had TONS of clues to decipher its location, but it took me any number of guesses to finally pinpoint it.  Most notable is the large and impressive building in the backdrop.  Then there are the orange and cream streetcars in the view, as well as the architectural hints in the foreground.  The problem was that the "mountain" off in the distance kept throwing me to look at more "rugged" locales, and it was only after I focused my attention solely on finding the building that it all fell into place.  Said building is the domicile of the Dayton and Hudson Railroad, and it remains in place today, as well it should.  The streetcars seen in this 1939 view would vanish about 7 years later, and Albany's State Street still looks good, though one can readily argue it will never have the polish that it did in the Thirties!   



Who: Don't know who the people in the scene are, but dig their classic dress styles.        

How (much): One of a lot of 9 shots I got on ebay for about $25.00.  This to me was the gem of the group, but there are some other goodies that I will eventually be sharing as well.  

No comments:

Post a Comment