4.27.2015

Kodachrome Classic Monday #37

Every Monday, I'll be spotlighting a different classic Kodachrome slide that I've picked up, and trying where I can to detail the who, what, when, where, why, and how (much) of the image:

This Week:

What: Sunday Best.

Why: A lot of the images I feature are general scenics, largely because all too often, the vintage people shots I have seen available feature the people exclusively with the backdrops excessively obscured.  This photo manages to find that middle ground, being wholly personal with the woman and two girls, while allowing plenty of context in the backdrop to tell a lot more, from season to location.       

When: It has the early 1950's Kodachrome mount style, and the California license plate style backs that up.  My guess would be sometime around the Spring of 1953.  

Where: San Diego, CA. The California plate was a big clue, as was the Point Loma Avenue street sign in the backdrop, but my first attempts to locate this turned up dry.  A few months elapsed, and I gave it one more try.  I'd thought I'd hit paydirt only to give another look around to discover the actual location was a block from where I'd thought.  The houses at Guizot and Point Loma are still there, with some moderate changes, but the absolute confirmation was seeing that wall at right with its distinct "5 step" pattern at top.     


View Larger Map

Who: Regrettably, the photographer did not label the mount to identify just who this lady and the two little girls are.      

How (much): One of my earlier pick ups, I snagged this little gem for $4.99 on ebay. 

No comments:

Post a Comment