1.05.2015

Kodachrome Classic Monday #27


Every Monday, I'll be spotlighting a different classic Kodachrome slide that I've picked up, and trying where I can to detail the who, what, when, where, why, and how (much) of the image:

This Week:

What: Mummers Parade
Why: It's the New Year, and I've just spotlighted the Rose Parade, so it is only fitting to spotlight another famous New Years Parade, that of the Mummers in the City of Brotherly Love.

When: Presumed to be about January 1, 1954.  The Red Border mount reads "Kodachrome Transparency" in the 1950-1955 style.  

Where: Philadelphia, PA. Having a good familiarity with Philadelphia, I thought I would be able to pretty readily pinpoint where this was, and thought this to be somewhere near Market and 2nd Streets.  Wrong, and I should have known better as the shadows are not at all conducive to a morning parade on an east-west street.  This actually looks southwesterly from the east side of Broad Street above Locust Street.  The Shubert and the prominent building in the backdrop remain, both with degrees of modification from their appearance over 60 years ago.  


View Larger Map



Who: According to this website, Mummers are simply costumed entertainers welcoming in the new year.  Forgive my ignorance, but I had for years associated them as being a group in line with the Shriners or the Kiwanis.   

How (much): A pretty good score at $4.95 for a lot of five.   

Bonus:  Some more images taken this same day by the same photographer from this lot.




  

No comments:

Post a Comment