12.08.2014

Kodachrome Classic Monday #23


Every Monday, I'll be spotlighting a different classic Kodachrome slide that I've picked up, and trying where I can to detail the who, what, when, where, why, and how (much) of the image:

This Week:

What: Night Street Scene at the Holidays with wet streets.

Why: This is one of the most incredibly atmospheric photos that I have ever had the privilege to see, let alone to own.  When I saw it come up for auction, I just knew that I wanted it, and somehow managed to get it.  This is definitely one of those images that you can really "walk right into" with its nostalgic qualities and exceptional technical quality.  The gorgeous neon signs combined with the reflectivity of the streets plus the great holiday decorations make this a true jaw dropper! 

When: November 29, 1953, written on the mount.

Where: Chicago, IL. This image looks West on Randolph Street at the intersection of State Street.  While many places in Chicago look much as they did 60 years ago, this intersection has seen a lot of change.  There are a number of elements that are still around, and ironically, there is still a Walgreens on the near corner to the right, albeit housed in a completely different structure.


View Larger Map



Who: No one in particular evident in this time exposure image.      

How (much): Given how much I loved this image, I bid to win, and managed to score it for $15.59.  It's one of the most expensive images I've picked up, but it was definitely worth the price! 

No comments:

Post a Comment