11.17.2014

Kodachrome Classic Monday #20


Every Monday, I'll be spotlighting a different classic Kodachrome slide that I've picked up, and trying where I can to detail the who, what, when, where, why, and how (much) of the image:

This Week:

What: Street Scene of a Shopping District.


Why: Yet another downtown image that is immediately compelling, with vintage autos and neon signs, and in a particularly classic and historic downtown area in the Southwest part of the country.  This was not an image that I wanted to miss out on! 

When: Noted as being 1952 according to the sale listing.

Where: Santa Fe, NM. The slide is noted as being of U.S. Route 66 going through town, and I may have actually found it by searching on "Route 66 slide" The view has managed to remain little altered, and still looks like a very fascinating place to visit. Interestingly, the street lamps are not quite the same, but are very similar in style, and actually look historic to the era.  


View Larger Map



Who: The two ladies, the little boy (who would now be about 70 years old!), I wish I knew who they were, but alas I don't.       

How (much): Picked up for the pair for $16.73 on ebay.  Pricey to be sure, but the images were really nice, so I have no regrets.  " Pair? Images?" you say? Yes.  Below is a bonus view from the adjacent street corner looking roughly in the same direction.  Lots going on to make this overcast day still look colorful! 



No comments:

Post a Comment