8.18.2014

Classic Kodachrome Monday #7


Every Monday, I'll be spotlighting a different classic Kodachrome slide that I've picked up, and trying where I can to detail the who, what, when, where, why, and how (much) of the image:

This Week:

What: Battle of Flowers Parade.


Why: I'm an absolute sucker for Neon signs. and the fact that this energetic and atmospheric photo is absolutely filled with neon aglow, I could not complete this purchase fast enough.   

When: Mount is pressed for April of 1958, which coincides with the month of this parade.

Where: San Antonio, TX. Without any prior knowlege of San Antonio, I was able to float around and pinpoint the location of this photo within 5 minutes.  It is taken looking East from the intersection of Houston and St. Mary's in Downtown San Antonio.  While the neon is not nearly as abundant as it was in 1958, the area still looks really pretty interesting for a visit, or even to watch a parade. :-)

   

View Larger Map


Who: This is admittedly dismaying, as there seem to be enough clues between the San Antonio location, the striking purple helmets with the gold insignias, and what appears to be a "PUR" visible on the lead man's flag.  From the looks of things, it certainly appears to be a Military Color Guard, possibly from Fort Sam Houston, but I am not entirely certain.  

How (much): A mere $1.98 on an ebay listing! The scan provided on the listing looked like it was underexposed, but I was thrilled to see significantly more detail in the actual slide that my scanner was able to pull out!  

No comments:

Post a Comment