10.24.2015

Film Fun Folio #12: Seagull 4A-103 and Fomapan 200

Periodically, I'll be posting scans of some complete rolls of film on here, showing both the good and the bad, and giving some basic information as well a little write up of the shoot as well as the reasons why I selected each camera and film.  Enjoy the trip! 

Feature #12:
Camera: ca. 1993 Seagull 4A-103 TLR Camera
Film: Fomapan 200
Locale: Central Maryland

The gum had hardly set on the roll of Rollei Retro 80S that I had finished in the Seagull for the Film Fun Folio #10 feature, when I elected I wanted to feed the Seagull another roll of black and white.  Impressed with some of the dramatic skies I had gotten from Fomapan 200, I wanted to try to put this film to use once again to try to maximize this tendency, and here are the results.


1 - Ellicott City, MD - f/3.5 1/300 - I started the winding process too soon in the Seagull, so the first exposure was not aligned with film, losing this one in the process. 


2 - Ellicott City, MD - f/4 1/125 - Finally a result.  Good tonality, and nice grain to start the roll off.





3 - Columbia, MD - f/8 1/125 - An overcast day looks every bit the part, though the details in the dark areas tends to get lost.  The sky did as I had hoped. 

4 - Columbia, MD - f/8 1/300 - Great dramatic sky in this image, but it is tough to discern a true black tone in this image.  Perhaps a half stop of underexposure would have helped.

5 - Washington, DC - f/5.6 1/300 - I couldn't quite portray the look of the rising sun in the distance over the buildings, but still like the results from this image.  

6 - Washington, DC - f/11 1/300 - A nice image of one of DC's most iconic structures, and quite suited for the medium of Fomapan 200.  I waited several light cycles to hope for an empty street in the foreground but to no avail.

7 - Fulton, MD - f/16 1/125 - One of my favorite subjects that I passed near on my commute to work, this one renders extremely well on Fomapan. 

8 - Silver Spring, MD - f/3.5 1/300 - Deliberately shot wide open, the result of trying to appear mired in the past is somewhat successful. 

9 - Laurel, MD - f/11 1/300 - Pretty subjective with so much left in shadow, but I really like this one.

10 - Burtonsville, MD - f/5.6 1/300 - Taken the same day as the shots in Film Fun Folio #11, I love the rendering of this glowing scene in monochrome as well!

11 - Silver Spring, MD - f/11 1/300 - Contrasty but sharp and well toned.  

12 - Silver Spring, MD - f/11 1/300 - MUCH better tonality than the shot on the same roll taken on Velvia 50.  The overall result is ten times better. 


Thoughts: Overall, a good roll, which clearly shows the usefulness of Fomapan 200 for a number of scenes.  Looking forward to shooting this film a bit more once the blaze of Autumn color has subsided.  

No comments:

Post a Comment