10.06.2014

Classic Kodachrome Monday #14


Every Monday, I'll be spotlighting a different classic Kodachrome slide that I've picked up, and trying where I can to detail the who, what, when, where, why, and how (much) of the image:

This Week:

What: State Capitol.


Why: I'm finding that people didn't take a whole lot of typical city/town shots as they took their cameras with them on road trips in the 1950's, and I can't say I blame them, as I'd be hard pressed to snap a photo of a bland modern strip mall on my digital camera, let alone on costly film.  One recurring theme of 1950's slides however, was that of taking photos of state capitols.  I've picked up a few different boxes of slides from online auctions and spotted a number of the trademark domes amid the collections.  Despite having some of these buildings already in my repertoire, I actually purchased this slide separately, because unlike most of the ones I already have, this one's glass mount has done a great job of preserving that "just taken yesterday" color I love to see in classic Kodachrome images.  

When: July 2, 1953, as noted on the metal and glass mount.

Where: Cheyenne, WY. Fairly easy to pinpoint, due to the prominence of the structure, and still looking much the same today as it did 61 years earlier.  The 1950 vintage Liberty Bell replica visible in the original image is still on site, albeit relocated to the west to front the corner of 24th Street and Carey Avenue.


View Larger Map



Who: The term for a person who hails from Wyoming is a Wyomingite, a demonym that likely applies to the people visible in this photo.      

How (much): Picked up for $2.99 on ebay.  I can't say that I would have splurged more than $5 for this image due to the context, but I admit I LOVE the color fidelity, which really makes the image more than just a typical state capitol photo.   

1 comment:

  1. Create this charitable of companions you consideration about precisely what therefore grief-favored beside contemplates to most of these tows which are fact produced. slide scanning services in canada

    ReplyDelete