7.14.2014

Classic Kodachrome Monday #2

Every Monday, I'll be spotlighting a different classic Kodachrome slide that I've picked up, and trying where I can to detail the who, what, when, where, why, and how(much) of the image:


This Week:

What: The ship USS Constellation with some submarines making a tour stop.


Why: I very much wanted to represent my hometown for one of these features sooner rather than later, and what could be cooler than an Inner Harbor shot taken LONG before the Harbor was the "tourist trap" of today.  Add in the dank weather and fog, and I can practically smell the water.  Trust me, that's not such a good thing.  This is one of the photos that made me "ooh" and "ahh" when I first spotted it on my "Christmas in July" post.   


When: Presumed to be about 1962 or so based on similar slides in the lot.  The mount is a generic COLOR TRANSPARENCY mount with no dating or writing.


Where: Baltimore, MD.  In this view, the sloop-of-war is docked on the East side of Pier 4 in the Baltimore Inner Harbor, adjacent to the former United Railways and Electric Power Plant.  The ship would later be moved to a location further west, and has since become a consistent centerpiece of the Inner Harbor's renewal as a family oriented attraction since the early 1980's.  The Power Plant stood dormant for years before being redone as an "indoor amusement park" that was woefully unsuccessful.  Later, in the late 1980's, it became a large nightclub billed as "P.T. Flagg's" and finally, it has become today's incarnation, a multi-purpose retail and dining venue.


View Larger Map


Who: Nobody really prominent in the scene to be identified anyway.

How (much): Technically about $0.12 on an ebay listing, but that is dividing the price of the entire lot by the number of slides, most of which were not nearly as neat as this one.

No comments:

Post a Comment