7.29.2016

Film Fun Folio #27: Kodak Bantam Flash and Rollei Infrared 400

Periodically, I'll be posting scans of some complete rolls of film on here, showing both the good and the bad, and giving some basic information as well a little write up of the shoot as well as the reasons why I selected each camera and film.  Enjoy the trip! 

Feature #27:
Camera: ca. 1948 Kodak Bantam Flash with 48mm/f4.5 Anastar Lens.
Film: Rollei 400 Infrared
Locale: Frederick, MD.
First, let me be perfectly clear, Rollei does NOT make it's Infrared film in 828 format, but thanks to my methods, I quickly made a roll of 828 stock from a roll of 120 stock and dark loaded it into the Bantam Flash.  I took a first shot as Spring blossomed, and then the camera and film just sat, week after week, seeing no action whatsoever, until I just so happened to bring it along on a lovely day, and had about 20 spare minutes to shoot it in one shot as I strolled near Baker Park in Downtown Frederick.  Nearly all of the shots were tripod taken under an approximate EI of 12, which in this case meant a typical shutter speed of 1/50, and an aperture of f/8, (or 1/25 with an f/11 aperture) which as it turns out was usually decent enough to get a workable shot while holding the R72 over the lens.  


I hadn't quite worked out my filter holding method for this first shot. 



A lovely day in Downtown Frederick shows action near the Transit Center.  Note the blur in the truck showing the slow shutter speed.




A pair of Carroll Creek exposures turned out quite well; the water reflections work great. 




Bushes near the Barbara Fritchie House give off the typical infrared effect. 



I believe these two show the effect both with and without the filter effect.  Regrettably, the second shot has some blur. 


A little closer up and with a wider aperture to get shallower depth of field. 


Even with a tripod, I got some blur as I depressed the shutter. 


The second try is somewhat better.


Limited to a tripod, framing some elements was a challenge - I had hoped to frame this entire sculpture. 


A bit too much list as I set the tripod on a hill.  Again, notice the slow motion blur. 


Markedly better - a true infrared shot. 


Focused on the grass in the foreground, but the focus carried over to include the backdrop.


I had never tried to shoot infrared into the sun, so I gave it a try - worked well! 


Closing out with a shot of the street bordering the park.  Definitely shows off the effect of infrared shots.

Thoughts: While I might have elected to save some of the shots for more rural scenes on another picture perfect day, I might have also waited forever for the chance.  This roll challenged my tendency to try to stretch out some rolls of film over weeks, and proved that it's not always a bad thing to fire away without the overly frugal mindset of rationing film exposures.  I'm generally quite happy with the results. 

No comments:

Post a Comment