1.01.2016

Film Fun Folio #17 - Zeiss Ikonta 521 and Provia 100F

Periodically, I'll be posting scans of some complete rolls of film on here, showing both the good and the bad, and giving some basic information as well a little write up of the shoot as well as the reasons why I selected each camera and film.  Enjoy the trip! 

Feature #17:
Camera: ca. 1946 Unbadged Franka Solida with Schneider 75mm f/2.9 lens.
Film: Fuji Provia 100F
Locale: Frederick County, Maryland.

Very few of my 6x9 folders lack some sort of issue.  Some are just less than stellar performers, while others have an issue or two that make completely care free operation an impossibility.  The Zeiss 521 along with the Agfa Billy Record are in fact the only two 6x9s that I have which function just as they should, and of these, the Zeiss is the far more capable of the two.  Given this, you would think that the 521 would constantly have an active roll of film going through it, but in fact, it had been sitting idle and empty since March for little good reason.  


Finally, with Fall in bloom, I rekindled my affection for this reliable and venerable folder by feeding it a roll of Provia, to see what would result in my rambles through Frederick County, Maryland.  Enjoy!                                                       


1 - Lewistown, MD - f/11, 1/100 - I made the error of not really checking out the shutter a few times before loading film into the Ikonta, and when I shot this image, I heard a bit of drag.  I thought I had overexposed it, but it wasn't so bad.  Since I shot the image again, I didn't bother cleaning up the dust after the scan.





2 - Lewistown, MD - f/11, 1/100 - Trying again, the results are improved but not perfect.  Focus and exposure on the sign in particular are distracting.


3 - Catoctin Furnace, MD - f/8, 1/100 - An old iron furnace was next on my rambles through Frederick County.  There was no perfect angle at which to shoot, but this provided a decent enough perspective.


4 - Thurmont, MD - f/5.6, 1/50 - I had hoped for a lot more from this image, but the result is one with a bit of blur and fuzzy focus.  


5 - Graceham, MD - f/8, 1/50 - Better than the last at least is this one, the angle of the sun made picking up this image pretty challenging.


6 - Frederick, MD - f/3.5, 1/250 - Taken in a short lull between showers, I didn't quite get the focus I had hoped for with this one.  At least it is close by so I can try again next Fall.


7 - Frederick, MD - f/4, 1/250 - The Frederick County Covered Bridge that isn't. I think this one would have worked better had I stopped it down to f/5.6 to get it a bit sharper.  As it is, it is fuzzy.


8 - Frederick, MD - f/4, 1/250  Another angle of the same subject above, this one does not quite convey what I had hoped, but isn't a total loss.


Thoughts: Given the subject matter and the colors available within these scenes, I had higher hopes for this roll than the results portray.  It seems some of the shots in the early part of the roll were overexposed, adding to the need for post processing.  I did follow up with one more roll from this camera, that will be featured later on. 


No comments:

Post a Comment