12.14.2015

Classic Kodachrome Monday #68

Every Monday, I'll be spotlighting a different classic Kodachrome slide that I've picked up, and trying where I can to detail the who, what, when, where, why, and how (much) of the image:


This Week:

What: Small Town, Big City

Why: The snowy setting and era tend to make me think of one from the classic "A Christmas Story" and the folks who make up this image add a really human element to this classic vintage scene.     

When: Ca. 1956-57 based upon the style of slide mounting.  

Where: Cicero, IL. The reminiscence of this scene to one of my favorite holiday movies, as well as the seller's location in Indiana had me searching mid-sized towns in the Hoosier State for a location with close set houses, a corner store, and a park.  And I met with no luck. On further perusal though, the Street Sign, which I had previously determined to be just some indecipherable numbered street began to look like "W 30TH ST" to me, and I began to contemplate that it might be in the Chicago area based upon just how dense the housing is set in the scene.  Still, I could not seem to find a fitting location.  I called for help on the Forgotten Chicago Facebook Group, and sure enough, within an hour, a pair of eagle eyed local historians had pegged the location of the shot. Great thing, as I would have never placed it here based on so few clues remaining to tie it together.  And what I'd presumed to be a park was in fact the entrance of a church! 


Who: I am at a complete loss as to who the churchgoers may be on this Sunday.     

How (much): Just $4.99 on ebay.  Quite a little score with lots of personable character!  

No comments:

Post a Comment