11.30.2015

Classic Kodachrome Monday #66

Every Monday, I'll be spotlighting a different classic Kodachrome slide that I've picked up, and trying where I can to detail the who, what, when, where, why, and how (much) of the image:

This Week:

What: One out of a Hundred

Why: Wait, isn't this a Kodachrome feature?  As in, full color slide film Kodachrome? So what is that black and white image atop this page doing there?  Did I confuse Kodachrome and Verichrome?  

Not quite.  I'm not that senile just yet.  But what I saw when I saw this image posted for sale was a scene in which color just did not add much to the rendering.  And despite my penchant for acquiring whatever old scenes I can find in true to life Kodachrome color, this one to me is one of those rare historic scenes that actually seems better suited to be presented in black and white, as it seems to be about 20 years older than it actually is.  But that's just me.  You can look at the actual color image below and decide for yourself! 


When: January 18, 1960., based on the writing on the mount.  

Where: Paloma, CA. No not the well known Pamona, CA, but the little known Paloma in Calaveras County.  Once a popular destination for gold mining, this small town is designated a historical landmark.  The scene above still largely remains, but looks even more derelict today.


Who: Not a soul to be seen in this barren scene.    

How (much): A $3.99 ebay pickup.  Opening bid! 

No comments:

Post a Comment