1.12.2015

Kodachrome Classic Monday #28

Every Monday, I'll be spotlighting a different classic Kodachrome slide that I've picked up, and trying where I can to detail the who, what, when, where, why, and how (much) of the image:

This Week:

What: Young Lady in the Shopping District.
Why: Intangible would be the best word to describe the appeal of this photo.  There is just a plethora of goings on all around the pretty young woman who serves as the subject of the photo.  It seems there are a wealth of stories to be partially told by this photo that was taken in a setting rich in historical elements.  It was likely a simple snapshot at the time, but here, some 60 years later, it all works so well!  

When: If the coded stamping on the mount is to be believed, I'd think this was taken January 2, 1956.  However, the Kodachrome border type is for an earlier date, and the apparel suggests more of a 
Fall or early Spring timeframe, which is difficult to discern based on the lack of any foliage whatsoever.

Where: Queens, NY. Unlike a few previous features of mine centering on Manhattan, this classic New York City image is set in an outer borough. Fortunately, there are enough clues to be able to pinpoint the location, most notably the Loews Triboro Theater.  The Theater, built in 1931 and demolished in 1974, was one of the largest for a neighborhood area, containing over 3200 seats! Though it has vanished, Steinway remains a viable shopping district, and some of the buildings on the left side remain, as well as the "BAR" sign in the distant background! 



View Larger Map



Who: I honestly wish I knew more of the story behind this photo, who the young woman is, and her relationship to the photographer.  Sadly, the mount leaves me no clue to such, and leaves yet another mystery to the history.      

How (much): I am not even sure just how I found it, but when I saw it on an ebay "Buy It Now" for $9.99, I could not resist adding this to the collection.   

No comments:

Post a Comment