12.22.2014

Kodachrome Classic Monday #25


Every Monday, I'll be spotlighting a different classic Kodachrome slide that I've picked up, and trying where I can to detail the who, what, when, where, why, and how (much) of the image:

This Week:

What: Holiday Potpourri.

Why: In my interest to try to scavenge whatever seasonal photos, I could find, I managed to come up with a few nice ones that were definitely fitting for a feature, but weren't quite as compelling as my features for the past two weeks.  I'm dedicating this week to these fine photos, as well as providing whatever information I can find relating to them.  

Above: Denver, CO Interestingly enough, this photo was not labeled, but I initially presumed it to be a  State Capitol.  However, I was unable to find a match in searching nearly every such building for a match.  Somehow, I stumbled onto a similar image of this building aglow for the holidays, and I was able to confirm it to be the courthouse in Denver, CO, taken some time around 1957.  




Above: El Cajon, CA? This one is an Ektachrome with nothing in the way of a description on the label.  However, this building on the left below the bell reads "El Cajon Grand."  A cursory Google Maps search of the areas along El Cajon Boulevard leading between El Cajon and the San Diego area provides some possibilities, but nothing substantive at first glance.


Above: San Francisco, CA This 1957 view appears to be somewhere along Market Street, though its precise location is a mystery to me, not being readily familiar with the precise location of stores in this era, and there is little able to be discerned regarding shapes and features of buildings in this night view.        




Above: Boston, MA This one is quite rare to see, an INSIDE shot of a department store at Christmas.  This is the Jordan Marsh store in Boston, on the 2nd Floor.  Shopping season is in full swing in this December 1, 1961 view.  

No comments:

Post a Comment